Why Should I Take Liposomal Supplements?
Wouldn't it be great if we could get optimal levels of all nutrients from our diet alone?! Unfortunately, poor soil quality, conventional farming methods, and food processing mean our food is not as nutrient-dense as it once was. Plus, most of us are so busy juggling work, child care and other responsibilities that we don't have the time to eat a perfect diet all the time!
Nutritional supplements have exploded in popularity over the past several decades. However, conventional pills, powders, and shakes could be wasting your hard-earned cash as many of them are poorly absorbed.
In this article, we explore the science behind liposomal supplements and why this form of supplementation is superior to those that may currently be in your medicine cabinet.
What Are Liposomal Supplements?
Liposomal supplements are made by packaging either water-soluble or fat-soluble nutrients inside tiny lipid bubbles – or fat pockets – called liposomes. Phosphatidylcholine molecules are typically used to ensure compatibility with the fats in human cell membranes. By mimicking cell membranes, phospholipids in liposomal delivery systems allow the nutrients to merge with your cells. Essentially, the body sees these liposomes as part of itself!
Interestingly, this amazing technology was invented in the '70s and revolutionised the delivery of vaccines and various medications. It’s now taking centre stage in the health and wellness world to speed up the delivery of vitamins, antioxidants, and even herbal extracts to your cells.
Are Liposomal Supplements Really Better Than Regular Supplements?
The simple answer to this is: yes! Liposomal supplements have a massive edge over the usual supplements found in your local health shop or pharmacy.
The truth is, when taken in conventional supplement form, some nutrients will never make it to your bloodstream as they should. They're easily oxidised and degraded by enzymes in the digestive tract and during liver metabolism.
On the other hand, a tiny liposome "sac" protects the delicate active ingredients from oxidation as well as digestive enzymes, bile salts, and gut bacteria. These nano-sized fat molecules are taken up passively by the small intestine and move straight into the bloodstream, therefore bypassing clearance by the liver.
In 2016, the Integrative Medicine Journal stated that liposomal supplements are protected from the harsh enzymes in the digestive tract (1). Liposomal delivery also has better bioavailability and intracellular absorption rates compared to regular supplements.
Now that's impressive!
Benefits of Using Liposomal Supplements
At Pure Health, we’re huge fans of liposomal technology and strive to develop the most bioavailable vitamin and antioxidant supplements on the market. Here are some of the benefits you can expect when switching to liposomal:
1. Work Fast: Bypassing the liver and getting directly into your cells means liposomal supplements work quickly and give you results! The increased intracellular absorption rate is ideal for those with nutritional deficiencies and chronic health conditions.
2. Quickly Raise Antioxidant Levels: Liposomes are becoming the preferred delivery system for antioxidants – like vitamin C, CoQ10, and glutathione. These compounds scavenge free radicals to protect you from premature ageing, inflammation, and chronic illness. Regular oral supplements are notorious for having low bioavailability and being easily degraded in the digestive tract. Fortunately, research is unequivocal that using liposomal encapsulation supports circulating levels of antioxidants (2).
Interestingly, cell studies have found that liposomal glutathione – the body's 'master antioxidant' – may be up to 100 times more potent than non-liposomal glutathione supplements (3).
3. Biohack Weak Digestion: If you have inflammatory bowel disease, digestive issues, or poor absorption, liposomal supplements are a must-have to support your well-being! Phospholipid bubbles are easily taken up in the gut and may reduce the need for invasive and expensive IV vitamin therapy, which some people with malabsorption conditions use.
4. Promote Immune Function: Studies show daily liposomal glutathione promotes healthy immunity by significantly boosting glutathione levels in several important immune cells (4).
5. Saves You Money: Due to superior bioavailability and potency, liposomal supplements save you money in the long run! By increasing nutrient levels quickly and keeping these levels higher for longer, you'll need fewer doses at lower concentrations.
Supplements are worthless unless the nutrients make it into your bloodstream and cells intact. That's why liposomal supplements are game-changers when it comes to supporting your health and well-being. Once you feel their benefits, there's no going back!
Pure Health supplements use superior liposomal delivery for both water-soluble and fat-soluble nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin K, glutathione, and CoQ10. We guarantee the nutrients will make it into your bloodstream safely and efficiently. For more information, please visit our product page here.
Let us know in the comments; have you benefited from liposomal supplements?